Greenwich Township lies within the Hardyston Jasper Archaeological District. This district within Greenwich Township is defined by intensive jasper usage by Native American Indians in lithic tool activity dating back 10,000 years.
The earliest known inhabitants of the Township were a meek and docile tribe of Delaware Indians called the Lenni Lenape whose ancient symbol was the turtle. It was the sub-tribe, Minsi (Wolf), of the Lenni Lenape that lived in this area. The largest Minsi settlement in Berks County was located at present day Virginville on the Township's southern border.
The first European settlers came to the area in the early 1700's. These settlers were mostly Germans, although some were descendants of French Hugenots. They came to America primarily from the German Province of Pfalz (or Palatinate). The Palatinates settled the area as farmers, building family farmsteads and clearing the land for agriculture.
Greenwich Township was originally part of Albany Township. Greenwich Township separated from Albany Township and incorporated as a township in 1755. It was named by English settlers after Greenwich, England.